Thursday, December 16, 2010

Niagara Falls Shut Off for Repairs in 1969

Let's just file this one under Crazy Crap You Probably Didn't Know About. At least I know I didn't.

Niagara Falls on the American side were basically shut off for several months in 1969 as US Engineers diverted flow to the Canadian side to...apparently repair some fault lines below the falls.






and



Apparently several rock slides caused some predictions that after 12,000 years of flowing predictably and torrentially, Niagara Falls, due to crumbling fault lines, would at some point in the not too distant future would stop flowing....? So the Army Corps of Engineers removed some rubble, and bolted some fault lines, and started the water flowing again.

Anyway. Pretty interesting. These pictures were found in a shoebox buried in somebody's grandfather's house.

Read more:

4 comments:

janinsanfran said...

I remember seeing this as a college student home at Xmas vacation. :-)

Stuart R. Crawford said...

I don't remember this at all since I was only a baby when it happened but I remember my Mom telling me stories about it.

Stuart Crawford
MSP Coach
Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Jeff Schnurr said...

I heard many jokes about this happening but wasn't aware it happened, really cool footage. Thanks for posting this. I shared on my facebook wall !

Jeff

TRAVELS said...

Yes, I remember these histories.
Beautiful ideas